Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Chi Running


I've heard a lot of good things about the Chi Running course that's being organised by Catherina McKiernan (Irish marathon record holder in 2:22:23) so I've decided to sign up. Hopefully it will help improve my running technique preventing injuries and maybe shaving a few seconds off my marathon pace. The course is very popular so we could only get in on the 10 May, too late for London but good prep for San Fran. All for only €150.

Here's a description of the workshop from Catherina herself:

At the start of the workshop I video-tape everyone to look at their style of running. Then we go inside and we cover the following aspects.

Introduction to the ChiRunning method,

I show people the correct Posture to prevent injuries.

I show people how to lean that posture forward to allow gravity pull them forward rather than using their legs to push themselves forward, which takes a lot of pressure of the body and makes running easier and more efficient.

I show people how to pick up their feet rather than pushing off from their toes to prevent lower leg injuries.

We also do the correct arm swing and then we go outside and practice. We just go for an easy run where I talk everyone through the focuses, just thinking of one thing at a time. We stop and start during the run because there are people of different standards and I don’t want anyone to feel under pressure.

Then we have lunch and after lunch we have a look at the video-tape and at that stage everyone has a good understanding of the technique and I point out what people may need to change with their running form that may prevent a particular injury and/or make their running easier.

After that we do some body loosening exercises and cover a couple of more aspects, and finish the day with a nice easy relaxed run.


No comments: