Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Running and Soccer


My target for this week was 36 miles with a half marathon at the end of the week. I only managed 27 miles, mainly because of a work night out in Belfast on Friday that wiped out my Saturday but also because I got back into the football training.

I play in the Leinster Senior League with Terenure College AFC. Since I got stuck into marathon training my football has taken a back seat but this week I felt the need to kick a ball again. So along with my mileage, I had 2 training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday to contend with.

The week started well with a 5 mile run on Monday followed by a training session with Rathfarnham WASF in Terenure on Tuesday at 6.30. The training involved 8 x 1km intervals run at sub 4min/km pace, tough going especially before football training. I've learned over the last year that joining a running club is by far the best way to improve as a runner. Since I've started training with a group, be it in the Park or with Rathfarnham, my pace has improved significantly. A lot of it is down to intensity of training but also the company of running with others and pushing yourself that bit harder than when on your own.

I ran a 4 mile easy run at lunch on Wednesday. From then on the week went a little downhill. Although I had football training on Thursday, there was very little running involved. Friday was work night out and Saturday was hangover day so a write off. I had all the intentions in the world of running a half marathon race in Carlingford on Saturday morning but that went out the window after we started on shots of sambuca and tequila!

I redeemed myself slightly on Sunday with a half marathon training run. I took on a few hills in this run which, although tough, adds variety to my routes as well as hopefully helping my strength and stamina.

Next week is the big 20 miler...

No comments: