Wednesday, February 20, 2008

42.5 miles


My hardest week yet. It started with a quick tot of the mileage prescribed for me in week 9 of Hal Higdon’s intermediate marathon training guide. For my trouble I was going to have to complete 41 miles including a 15 mile run at the weekend.

Monday didn’t really help matters when I decided to take an extra rest day after working late. Come Tuesday I was playing catch up, so I pulled one out of the bag and completed a half marathon, 13.1 miles, in 103 minutes. I was chuffed that I could keep up a sub 8 minute mile pace for so long outside of a race environment.

It was a busy week in work so didn’t manage a lunchtime run. Instead, I ran a 5 mile on Wednesday and Thursday followed by an easy 4.4 miles on Friday.

I completed my first cross country run on Saturday in the Aer Lingus BHAA 5 mile race at ALSAA. It was a beautiful sunny (but cold) morning and perfect conditions for a run. Also met up with my new Team (Alan, Paul, Charlie and Irene). Rebecca joined up with us too, but she decided to run for her company.

The run itself was tough enough with four laps of a very large playing field area and ground that just kept getting softer. I finished in a disappointing 38:45 (my best 5 mile was 34:55 in Raheney) but we later found out that the course was longer than 5 miles as most people were 2 minutes down on their usual times.

We enjoyed a post race tea and currant bread while having a good old laugh with CTM, Father Doughal and the farmer. BHAA made their traditional presentation to the race winners of clocks, cutlery, tub a wear and other potential wedding presents. Team Comms came in 4th in category 3 after Paul, Alan and Charlie posted decent times. Next week my time will count towards the team so hopefully we can win those gifts!

I took it easy for most of Sunday in preparation for my 15 mile run. Watched a dull FA cup game then took off towards Sandymount Strand taking in Blackrock, Stillorgan, Sandyford, Dundrum, Churchtown and Rathgar. The run had a good bit of variety; flat areas, gradual inclines, rolling hills and a beach. Managed the run in 1 hour 58 mins so again under the 8 minute mile. If I kept this up for longer I could manage a sub 3:30 marathon! Best to be realistic though and just aim to improve my 3:56 for now.

46 miles to slog out next week…

Rob

No comments: