Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Making the targets


With less then 10 weeks to go to the big race I've decided to up my game as far as training is concerned. I have started to follow the Hal Higdon Intermediate Marathon training guide(http://www.halhigdon.com). It's an 18 week schedule but I only really got into it at week 7. I am at the start of week 10 now and so far I have run 23.5 miles in week 7 (target of 36), 25 in week 8 (target of 37) and 31 in week 9 (target of 31). So, now that I have managed to meet a target I am going to try keep with it. My target for this week is a whopping 41 miles with a 17miler at the weekend. I'm going to give a 10 mile a go tonight to set me off for the week. Although with a 5mile cross country race planned for Saturday, I may not get to fit in the 17 miles.


We have set up a running club with work and it has attracted a decent bit of interest within our department. So far we have completed three lunchtime runs ranging from 5k to 8k. This week is a 5 miler around the quays where we're we'll have to run faster if we meet Rebecca along the way.


I was back down training with the IrishFit.com crew on Saturday and managed an 8 mile run at 8min per mile pace without any problems. There was a rather large turn out compared to the 2 or 3 that turned up in the December weeks. One of the best parts of the Saturday runs is the tea and carrot cake to look forward to in the Tea Rooms post training. As good as ever despite only having half a slice!


As I mentioned, I am planning on running a 5 mile cross country race this Saturday. It's part of the BHAA (
www.bhaa.ie) calendar of races and takes part in ALSAA. It's my first cross country race since I tried it as a kid so should be run. Irene signed me up as part of 'Team Crescent' with her friends so pressure will be on to get the vital times.

Rob

No comments: