Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Training - getting off the ground Nov-Jan


I've been relatively happy with my training up until now. After Dublin in October I kept my running going with a few longs runs and some races.


In November I was away with Elaine for a shopping trip to New York so I did a quick search on the web and found a 4 mile race in Central Park, taking place the Sunday after me arrived. It was my first time in NY so what better way to see the beautiful sights of the Park than to run a race. With over 6,000 participants it was going to be fun.


The race was easy enough as most of it seemed to be downhill. I got chatting to an Irish guy who noticed my Dublin marathon t-shirt at around mile 2. Despite being at least 20 years older than me, this guy was burning up the field and he took off away from me at mile 3. The finish was surreal.



There were people cheering from the sides and even one or two crying as they crossed the line with a personal best time! I've seen less of a fuss being made at marathons but it made me chalk the New York Marathon down on the 'to do' list. Elaine was at the finish to greet me with a bagel and a coffee to keep her warm!


December brought the onslaught of nights out and Christmas parties galore. While I managed my fair share of debaucherous evenings I managed to fit some training in and also the Aware 10k race with the KPMG work crew (John H, Irene, Stephen P, Siobhan, Paul, Aoife and some randomer called Rebecca!). Despite the very cold and wet Saturday morning, and Jen Power pulling a sickie, we managed to complete the tough hilly 10k in the Phoenix Park with John Harrington blitzing ahead of the pack.


I also got some pre race preparation in London when over with work. A couple of 10k runs along the Thames on crisp evenings helped keep the fitness levels up and gave me a good idea of what's to come in April.


January involved a few summer runs! I was away in Australia visiting friends and getting some travelling in for 3 weeks. As well as ringing in the New Year down under I managed to do the 9 mile Bondi to Coogee run. With temperatures in the late 20's, steps, hills and cliffs along the way it was a tough run but a beautiful setting along the coast.


A couple of more beach runs in Bondi and three sticky ones (with one during a thunder storm - never been so wet in my life) in Cairns and that was it for my Australian running. While I was in Alice Springs and Uluru, I thought better than to go running in temperatures above 40degrees! The remainder of Jan was hit and miss as far as training was concerned but I managed to average around 16 miles per week.

No comments: