Tuesday, December 4, 2012

2013 Race Plan

I've been having a look at my race plan for 2013 over the last few days. I typically do two major races in a year, an ultra in May/June and a road marathon in 2013. This year may be slightly different as we'll be home for most of the time. I'll miss out on TNF100 for the first time in four years but I've found an alternative race in Italy. http://www.ultratrail.it/en/ I've already started planning a holiday around this where Elaine, Charlie and I will fly to Venice and spend 10 days to 2 weeks in northern Italy and southern France taking in some beautiful cities, lake regions, wine regions and the Tour de France. The HuRTS boys are planning an inaugural trip abroad for the Berlin marathon (http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en) so I will make sure to be at that. It's the 40th anniversary of the race and probably the fastest course in the world so ideal for a PB. We may even sneak in a few steins at Oktoberfest afterward to celebrate.

Six Foot track is also on the cards for March. http://www.sixfoot.com/. I've some unfinished business at this race. I missed out in 2012 with the cancellation and my debut in 2011 was a disaster with my worst blow up in a run for a long time. I'll be gunning for a sub 4:15 this time, a shot at the team title with HuRTS and the famous Beer Bet Golden Stubbie. I'm also in for the Western State 100 mile lottery. I've a one in six chance of getting in so I'm not holding out hope but if I do, that will change my Italy plans as it's in June. Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc is also on my to do list but will probably leave this one until 2014. So here's how things are shaping up:

2013 Race Plan
January - Tom Brennan New Year's Day 5k, Dublin
February - a Striders 10k and possibly the Equaliser, Sydney
March - Six Foot Track, Blue Mountains
April - Great Ireland run 10k, Dublin
June - The North Face Lavaredo Ultra Trail, Italy
June to August - Dublin marathon race series - 5 mile, 10 mile, half marathon
September - Berlin marathon, Germany
October - Dublin marathon, Ireland

No comments: