Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday fartlek

Coach Chris won't be happy. The HuRTS session for today was a 45 minute fartlek with 1 minute on and 30 seconds off. Chris suggested that I do a 3/2/1 session instead. It was pretty hot today and I find it harder to motivate myself for intervals alone so I opted for the 1 minute on 30 seconds off. Took off at a decent pace with John Bowe doing his usual 'hare out of the traps' run. got chatting to Richie High on the way out. Well, he did most of the chatting as he was on an 'easy' run while I was clearly not. JC caught up with us and I think Richie was relieved to have someone who would converse properly with. Turned at the first flyover after the Harbour Bridge and held onto the coattails of Richie and JC until the Botanic Gardens. Was on track for finishing under 45 minutes until the last 2kms where I struggled with the hills and heat. Still, John Bowe, in typical fashion,  faded in the distance. Plus, not many of the faster guys had passed me by the time I got to the finish so not a bad session. 11.1kms in 45:28.
 
Good to see Todd and Laura back into the full swing of training after a long time out with respective injuries. Also, Enda has a weird slochy style when running uphill. Never noticed it before but he passed me at the hill beside the Boy Charlton Pool bent forward like an auld fella. maybe that's why he sticks to pan flat IMs.
 
Post run, Mike C suggested that some of the Tuesday session will now move to Rushcutters. I have to say, I'm not keen on this. I like the Rushcutter sessions and think that the Thursday sessions (where there is also an alternative) are perfect for it. But having longer sessions down there, added to the time it takes to get there and back, is asking a lot, particularly of people working west of the CBD.
 
Elaine text me this morning to say that our new running buggy has arrived. Looking forward to giving it a test run with Charlie this evening. It may well be one of the best buys yet for our family. Run time for me, motion and outdoors for Charlie and free time for Elaine.
 

No comments: