Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Hill repeats

The day kicked off with an easy 5k run to CrossFit. I then had an assessment of my height, weight, training goals etc. to help the CrossFit Ignite team prepare a training plan. I'm planning on doing to CF sessions a week for the next six weeks with the aim of building some core and upper body strength to assist with my trail and ultra running, especially in the later stages of races when I get tired. My first shock was my weight. It appears that I've put on almost 4kgs from my Dublin marathon race weight of 76kgs. I'm now tipping the scales at 79.8kg. This is 112.5% of the ideal weight for someone my height and age. Not a million miles away but needs to come down. The second shock was that I'm 23% fat. Not exactly tubby but ideal fat levels should be below 20% and maybe even leaner for ultras. Will be working on that too. Still, I've come a long was since my tubby days in 2002 when I was close to the 100kg mark. Must dig out the pic of fat Rob meeting Robbie Keane at before World Cup 2002.
I followed up the assessment with a CF session. I'm still on foundation but it's bloody tough. I have terrible arm strength and struggled on proper push ups and burpies. Will be feeling the burn tomorrow for sure. Finished up and jogged an easy 5km to work. Felt pretty tired and wondered how I'd be able to fit in the lunch session.
Decided to do my own session after Chris prescribed the hills at Argyle street. Knocked out 6 x hill repeats which included a jog back to the middle of the hill and a sprint back up. Was tough by myself but stayed honest and put in some decent reps. Total kms for the day of 20.5.
 

No comments: